What are the conditions for Turkish Citizenship? Who can apply?
As per new regulation, which amends the Turkish Citizenship Law, some foreign investors will be exempt from ordinary application process and requirements under Law no 5901, provided that the following criteria are met by such foreigners.
- Real Estate Owners: Foreigners who buy a real estate (house) in Turkey with a price [at least 000.-USD ] “two hundred and fifty thousand US dollars” can apply to Turkish Citizenship. However the owner (buyer) must register a special condition at Land Register (Tapu). This special condition is that “new buyer will not sell the house within 3 three years.” And this sentence (condition) must be registered at the Land Registry Office and Deed (Tapu).
Ministry of Environment and Urban Planning (https://csb.gov.tr ) will check if those two conditions are met. In other words; Ministry of Urban Planning will look at the value of the house then will look at the Land Registry if the special condition is written on the Deed (Tapu). After that, Ministry of Urban Planning gives its approve to foreigner to make application for Turkish Citizenship.
- Investors: Foreign investors who invest at least 000.-USD fix capital into Turkey can apply to Turkish Citizenship (i.e. invest in manufacturing companies, industrial plant, OR, buying such companies’ shares). Ministry of Industry and Technology (https://www.sanayi.gov.tr) will check if such money is really invested then it approves the transaction and foreigner can make application for Turkish Citizenship.
- Businessmen: Foreign Businessmen who has business place in Turkey with at least 50 employees can make application for Turkish Citizenship. However, Ministry of Family, Labour and Social Security (https://www.csgb.gov.tr) will check if there 50 People are employed at that company.
- Bank Account Holders: Foreigners who has a bank account in Turkey and who has (at least 000.-USD) at that account can apply to Turkish Citizenship provided that (under the condition) they will not withdraw money before the end of 3 years term. In such term foreigner can take interest for his money.
Banking Regulation and Supervision Agency (http://www.bddk.org.tr) will check if the money is deposited into Turkish account, then it will give its approve to foreigner to apply for Turkish Citizenship.
- Turkish Governmental Bonds: Foreigners who buy Governmental Bond (or any other debt instrument which is issued by Turkish Government) with the amount of at least 000.-USD can apply to Turkish Citizenship.
Ministry of Treasury and Finance ( http://www.maliye.gov.tr )will check if foreigner has such bonds, then Ministry will give its written approval. With this approval foreigner can apply to Turkish Citizenship.
- Real Estate Investment Trust: Foreigners who participate in Real-Estate Investment Funds, or buy “participation share” from such Funds with at least 000.-USD can apply to Turkish Citizenship. However, investor will commit to hold (not to sell) such Funds for 3 years.
Capital Markets Board of Turkey (http://www.cmb.gov.tr ) will check if such investment in said Funds has been made. Then it gives its approval to foreigners to apply Turkish Citizenship.
Making investment in Turkey does NOT automatically gives (grants) Turkish Citizenship to that foreigners. Foreigner who is approved by the relevant Ministry will be eligible to apply to Turkish Citizenship.
HOW IS THE APPLICATION MADE?
Those foreigners who fulfil the above-mentioned criteria must get the official statement from the related Ministry so that he can make application. In other words, without such written approval from Ministry, foreigner can NOT apply to Turkish Citizenship.
FOREIGNER’S FAMILY MEMEBERS?
Foreigners who make Citizenship Applications according to new regulation (published on Official Gazette dated 19th September 2018) http://www.resmigazete.gov.tr will be eligible to apply for his family as well. Such application will be limited to;
- Children under 18 years old.
CITIZENSHIP APPLICATION DOCUMENTS
Here are the short list of required documents for Citizenship Application in Turkey. Please be informed that these are general documents and additional doc’s & info’s may be asked from the person himself.
- Application Form
- Official Statement from related Ministry (showing that foreigner fulfils the criteria)
- Birth Certificate (approved by Turkish Consulate in foreigner’s country OR apostilled as per Lahey Convention dated 6 Oct. 1961)
- Civil Status (which shows if he is single OR married. Also names, surnames of his family members) This one is also must be either apostilled or approved by Turkish Consulate in his country.
- Notarised copy of his Passport.
WHERE TO APPLY?
Prelimary Application (Ön-Başvuru) will be made to “Directorate General of Civil Registration and Citizenship Affairs” in each city of Turkey or Turkish Consulates abroad. Foreigners who lives in Turkey can make application Civil Registry. Foreigners who live abroad can make their “Prelimary Application” to Turkish Consulate in their country. Foreigners who are living in Turkey must have “Resident Permit”.
Application can be made by foreigner himself or via his Attorney (vekil). Application procedure is given below with graphics:
If foreigner give false and fraudulent information or documents, his application will be rejected. If such false documents and information is learned after having Turkish Citizenship, OR if foreigner shall not comply with the requirement (such as not selling the house for 3 years, OR not withdraw money from his Bank Account for 3 years) then Citizenship will be CANCELLED.
HOW LONG TIME WILL IT TAKE?
Since it is a new law, we can not tell you the exact time. However it is expected to complete all procedure within 6 months.
AYDIN ULCAY (Director Manager)
FATİH EROL (Coordinator)
RÜŞTÜ DEMİR (Executive Consultant)
CÜNEYT BODUR (Senior Attorney at Law)
ÇAĞATAY UĞUR (Associate Attorney at Law)
We, (Kuantum Turizm LLC) & (Anka Consultany LLC) having 15 years of experience on foreigner law and tourism services. With 3 offices (2 in Istanbul and 1 in Ankara) We would be more than happy to work with you on your Turkish Citizenship Application.
+ (90) 507 430 15 57